Saturday, July 3, 2010

Exactly what does the server do?

Chris Brogan is relating a story about how confidence affected an interaction with a"Order takers" should not be paid 20% gratuity. Servers should be trained to interact with the customer and sell. I am sick and tired of being waited on by horrible "order takers". If the server can not or will not interact then fire them. They are hurting your business. Chris's points on confidence are spot on. If you have a position, state it confidently. If your wrong, admit it and move on.

The guest at the table next to mine asked their server, “What do you think of the halibut special?” The server replied, “I’m not really sure. What did you have in mind when you came in?

...

I take great pride in my confidence and conviction in matters that are important to me. I use confidence as a leadership trait all the time. And I admit when I’m wrong as often as is necessary to make those two traits worth a damn.

Oh, and one last detail:

The halibut looked pretty, but my first bite had three bones in it, and it tasted a bit too fishy in their preparation. I would’ve given the guest the wrong advice. But I’d have meant it, and she’d have bought it. And if she complained, I’d tell her that I was clearly wrong, and offer her another meal. That’s what happens.

Confidence. Conviction. Practice them.