Friday, April 11, 2008

Swing Shift:

My favorite time to visit a restaurant is between 2:00pm and 5:00pm. Tables are plentiful and the experience is always surprising. Walking in you will notice the lunch managers reclining while enjoying their lunch, evening managers preparing for their charges, wait staff finishing their side work, dinner employees arriving and lunch employees going, and general cleanup that occurs after the lunch rush.

Guests who arrive in the in-between hours create havoc. These guests are interfering with the normal transition between lunch and dinner. I have little patience for restaurateurs who have not as yet perfected the swing shift day part. If this occurred once in a while I could be persuaded to overlook it, however it happens every day at the same time. What are you thinking? If you open, you’re open. I came in because the sign said you were open. The fact that you have not figured out who should serve me or who should prepare the meal is not my problem.

Here's a hint, stagger shifts!