Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gratuity will be added based on our discretion:

The menu had the words “Gratuity will be added based on our discretion or on parties of six or more”, and I thought “yuk”. I suspect it was meant as a joke, however this was my first visit and I did not take it that way.

Tips (To Insure Proper Service) is voluntary when last I heard. Give a server a 15% tip and they look at you with disdain because they were expecting 20%. A tip is not automatic, to often servers forget that they need to render services for that addition to their low base wage. Being a rude, inattentive, disinterested order taker does not constitute rendering services. The reverse is also true however not as often in my observations. A server can provide exceptional service and the customer will neglect to tip. That leaves a horrible feeling in the servers psyche.

The words at the bottom of the menu struck me because this was the first time I’ve seen the words memorialized in print. The menu wording no doubt violates a host of fair pricing legislation. Beyond that however it does not endear itself to me.

What do you think?