Friday, November 2, 2007

Competitive Advantage:

Steve Yastrow’s recent post on TomPeters.com about “Relationships” offers the following thoughts:

“I was eating lunch with an executive of a hotel company, in a restaurant located at one of his company’s hotels. He was talking about competitive threats, describing how companies in his category are constantly copying each other’s innovations. I said, “If I were your competitor, I could walk into this hotel and easily copy your physical product. I could study your service standards, and copy them too. What I could not copy are the personal relationships you have with your customers. Those relationships would be impenetrable to me.”

In an age of interchangeable products and easily duplicated services, customer relationships have become one of the most powerful competitive advantages available to a business. Do you agree?”

In a restaurant, your competitor can copy your design, layout, menu, processes, color scheme and even the art on the walls. Creating customer advocacy is about connecting with your guest on a personal level. That connection is everything, cultivate it, nurture it, be responsive to it and you will have a Competitive