Tony Ferrietti's formula for resilience
Resilience, like a muscle, grows stronger the more you use it. But first you have to start exercising. I recommend the acronym “CONQUER!” as a guide to working the resilience muscle.
- C is for “Connections.” Life is all about relationships. Simply stated, “people need people.” Social support and close interpersonal relationships are extremely helpful in coping.
- Optimism is all about having a positive attitude and outlook. Keeping problems in perspective and focusing on the big picture makes the pressure not seem so overwhelming.
- Nurture yourself. Exercise, eat a healthy diet, get some sleep, try to relax and have fun even in the hardship.
- Accept the Quest that can be an opportunity for personal growth, self-discovery, and character building. Reframe the experience to recognize the benefits it can bring.
- Choose to be Unflappable in the face of adversity. Controlling your response is empowering and builds resilience.
- Expect that change and stress will come. Life never stands still.
- Be Relentless. Decide to persist despite the pressure.