Monday, August 30, 2010

What good are fans if you can't motivate them to action

Sam Oches provides an example of the new social media landscape and how it impacts any business,


Rubin says a large number of Facebook fans for a brand means nothing if it's not put to good use. Companies, he says, must utilize the support and information that a large group of Facebook fans represent.

"I think people assume that just because they've got fans, they're going to get revenue," Rubin says. "I don't think it correlates to that. I think having fans gives them the audience to engage with. More importantly, instead of saying, 'Here's what the soup is today,' maybe say, 'What's your favorite bagel?' or 'What's your favorite topping on a bagel?'

"That's extremely powerful, because you're saying, 'I don't mind giving you something, but in return for giving you something, I want to be able to communicate with you.' That's where the shift in social marketing is going to."